Monday, December 12, 2016

No Makeup Shake-Up

“If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams. And you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl

This all started three weeks ago when I was preparing for work one morning.

Every morning I would go through my “getting ready” routine, while my youngest daughter came in and brushed her hair with me. I put on my makeup, my jewelry, brushed my hair, and completed the whole hoopla of the routine.

But one morning a few weeks ago, she was mindlessly playing with some of my earrings in the earring dish and just sighed, “You’re pretty, Mom.”

Somewhat startled by the out-of-the-blue-at-6:45-in-the-morning compliment, I smiled and said, “Thank you, honey. That is so nice to hear.”

“You’re even prettier when you don’t try to be.”

She said this as I was reaching for my face powder. I stopped, looked at her, and saw her earnest little eleven-year-old face watching me. Watching my every move. Taking it all in. How to be a woman. How to “prepare” for a day.

This was one of those moments that come along every so often. One of those moments that – as parents – we can either seize and make the most of, or just let pass us right by as if they mean nothing.

This was not a do-nothing moment.

I seized it.

“What are you thinking about? Right this minute?” I asked her.

“I want to ask you to do something,” she said. “But you have to trust me. Because I know you won’t want to do it.”

I was utterly perplexed. This is not the way I thought this was about to go. I was expecting a question, or one of her older-than-she-ought-to-be observations. I was not expecting a request.

“Okay, what do you want me to do?”

“I want you to not wear makeup today. Please?”

Wait…what?

“Not wear makeup to work? But I’m teaching today.”

But then, in a flash, I thought about it. Wearing makeup doesn’t make me a better teacher. It doesn’t make me smarter. It doesn’t, in any way, help me function better at my job. After a while, in fact, it becomes more a kind of armor to hide behind than a palette to enhance beauty.

“You know what? Ok. No makeup for me today.”

Emma positively beamed at me. Her eyes lit up; she smiled bigger than she has smiled in years. Even her skin glowed. She threw her arms around me and hugged me tightly.

Thus began my journey into makeup-free. For a little over three weeks now I haven’t worn makeup. It’s oddly liberating, as if I’m getting to know myself all over again. I wear Burt’s Bees on my lips, a little moisturizer on my skin, and that’s it. I’m good to go.

I am not averse to wearing makeup. But when I do, it will be because I want to, and not because I feel like I am supposed to, or as if it is expected of me. What I have learned in the past three weeks (and counting) is that I am not defined by how others perceive me. It all comes back to learning to love the gift of myself, inside and out.

Every day, I encourage body positivity with my daughters. I teach them that they are worth loving, that no part of them deserves to be hidden or dismissed. The best gift I have gotten was my daughter returning that wisdom to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep the comment forum positive, please. Comments written to abuse, embarrass, shame, mock, or taunt will be removed. This is my Queendom and I'm allowed to have it my way.